Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:33:59 -0600
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Xiaodong Yi <xdong.yi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Subject:   Re: Testing Luvalley with FreeBSD as dom0
References:  <20100418191752.GA72730@triton8.kn-bremen.de> <w2r3b0605b31004181554tb90de59u6df8ebd5b1206caa@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=nhk%2BeCG6kbe4LfeaTQWkKaVcr%2BRx2LrKparDO@mail.gmail.com> <20110107194516.GA28544@triton8.kn-bremen.de> <AANLkTikvP8SezKEZYSUimaj3u8fkk2Vw6-aY09KV=RF3@mail.gmail.com> <20110107213643.GA32645@triton8.kn-bremen.de> <AANLkTi=2Nn8xeKudxb2uSR=aLx0GW43gVPCdL-=hjP7z@mail.gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Xiaodong Yi <xdong.yi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I confirm that I no longer have time for Luvalley. However, I will be
> extreemly happy if anybody is willing to take over from me.
> Especially, I quite agree to customize Luvalley for FreeBSD, through
> it supports all kinds of Dom0 OSes. Howerver, I hope that the LIGHT
> architecture of Luvalley could be kept. Maybe it is useful to patch
> dom0 FreeBSD kernel (especially for interrupt handling), but it should
> not be very complex. Part of the code comes from KVM, and I suggest to
> keep flying with KVM to make sure that guest VMs work well.

I believe that if serious effort were to be put forward by the FreeBSD
developers to further develop the code, the result would need to be
GPL and Linux free (or VERY close to it). This is an area of
contention within the FreeBSD developer and user community, so it
would need to be addressed. As the developer of Luvalley, do you have
the ability to re-license the code using a BSD license?

Are there too many technical issues with the code to do this? Juergen
mentioned that bits of the code are based on (or pulled directly
from?) Linux KVM. That probably wouldn't fly here...

> Luvalley does boot and run on bare hardware. =A0But it does not taint
> dom0 FreeBSD. Although the `non-root' mode dom0 FreeBSD kernel has
> direct access to BIOS and hardware, Luvalley tries hard to coordinate
> with it. For example, Luvalley traps the BIOS calls from the FreeBSD
> kernel to report the modified E820 table. Another example is that
> Luvalley uses NMI as the IPI interrupt to avoid conflict with BSD
> kernel. And I also believe that simple patches could work if some
> corners of FreeBSD kernel are tainted.
>
> Regards, and looking forward to the following news ...
>
> Xiaodong

As am I...

Thanks for chiming in Xiaodong!

-Brandon