Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:06:41 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Morten Vinding Nielsen <morten.vinding.Nielsen@mobilix.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+ driver or hardware?

Morten Vinding Nielsen wrote:

> I haven't noticed any ARP messages.
> Don't you mean MAC changing IP address since more than one card have the
> same MAC?

No, MAC address should be unique for EVERY nic in your local network...
In fact it would be fairly hard to get two NICs with the same MAC address
unless you were able to change it with some software (which you can)...
IP is only for routing, the actual delivery of the data is made to the MAC
address, ARP is responsible for converting IP's to MAC's...
So you can see having two MAC address's the same on one network would cause
all sorts of problems...

> Yes Windowz and Linux reads the MAC correctly.
>
> I have heard of others having the same problem, but getting a MAC address
> that differs from mine by a single digit, so I think it might be that the
> driver is reading the revision number of the card or something.

I found that the latest stable fixed my MAC address problems, but you
may have a new one... You should file a PR on it or something, since as
you said the driver is reading something wrong and needs updating/fixing