Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:00:16 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Rick writes:

> In your opinion...

I don't know that years of technical support looks very flattering on a
résumé, although I ended up in nearly similar circumstances myself, simply
because decent jobs for software engineers are scarce in France.

> Luckily I'm with a company that pays it's help
> desk people VERY well.

That won't help if you are laid off.

> Since we're also the 13th largest buisness
> in the world, I have pleanty of oppurtunities.

Kind of like Arthur Andersen.

> Not knowing what that next phone call is going
> to be keeps me going and gives me a challenge
> to look forward too.

That might indeed be motivating, IF you have the tools to actually resolve
the problems that come in.  But many technical support organizations don't
have that; it costs money, and few companies want to spend anything more
than absolutely necessary on technical support.