Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:30:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buslogic/Bustek/Storage Dimensions driver (MCA)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Andy Farkas wrote:
> > I've got what I think is a working MCA shim for the 'BT' driver.
> >

> not quite...
>
> The io, irq and drq values are correct on both aha & bt...
>
> aha0 is still failing the INQUIRE command...

        if (reply_len != reply_buf_size) {
                /* Too much or too little data received */
                return (EMSGSIZE);
        }

> aha0: <Adaptec AHA-1640 SCSI Adapter> io 0x330-0x333, irq 15, drq 4
> aha0: on mca0 id 0f1f slot 2
> aha0: INQUIRE failed 28

This should read:

aha0: INQUIRE failed 0x28

since 'error' is printed in hex.  Why we're printing errors in hex I don't
know (other than to make me waste 10 minutes tracing down bugs that don't
exist that is.)

Now, anyone have a good idea why AOP_INQUIRE_BOARD_ID is getting too much
or too little data?

Andy, try changing sys/dev/aha.c:aha_cmd() so that the test before the
last return() looks like this:

        if (reply_len != reply_buf_size) {
+		printf("reply_len %d, reply_buf_size %d\n",
+		       reply_len, reply_buf_size);
                /* Too much or too little data received */
                return (EMSGSIZE);
        }

        /* We were successful */
        return (0);
}

And show me the line when the error occurs.

> aha0: Card not responding!

I added this message for some reason or another.  Its not really helpful
at all.  :)

> device_probe_and_attach: aha0 attach returned -1
> mca0: unknown card (id 0x7007, enabled) at slot 3
> mca0: unknown card (id 0x6042, enabled) at slot 4
> mca0: unknown card (id 0x7007, enabled) at slot 5
> bt0: <BusLogic 32 Bit Bus Master MCA-to-SCSI Host Adapter (v1.50)>
> bt0: io 0x334-0x337, irq 14, drq 5 on mca0 id 0708 slot 6
> panic: contigmalloc1: size must not be 0

I've rewritten the bt_mca driver to hopefully do the right thing.  I was
trying to avoid excess code but I'll worry about trimming stuff down
later.

Get the new versions of {aha,bt}_mca.c and recompile.

Thanks for doing such a good job of testing!

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |