Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:21:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>, Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows 2000 isn't that smart, but everything else is

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > > This is supposedly "Retail" Win2K, but it has no idea where to send ARPs.
> > > Lucky for it that the gateway machine is connected across both LANs. :-)
> >
> > I saw this a lot from a FreeBSD box (3.4-RELEASE) that was connected
> > to the same Ethernet segment with two NICs (in different logical
> > networks). It really got on my nerves, and Windows 2000 was not
> > involved.
>
> Shouldn't put two NICs from one host on one physical LAN. Hurts
> network performance. I have yet to hear a good reason to do it.

I can think of a good reason to do it.  Attach each NIC to a switch
and supply each NIC with its own IP address.  It's not exactly
"trunking" as you would normally think of it, but each IP address
would have full use of the bandwidth available at the NIC.  It would
be downright silly to do it with them both attached to the same
collision domain (non-switched segment), obviously.

The better way to accomplish this is of course with port trunking or
Cisco EtherChannel or something like that, but we don't have support
for that AFAIK.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )