Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 21:58:03 +0200
From:      "Andreas Zymny" <andreas@zymny.de>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Problems to get 4.6RC running on my laptlop

Hi all,

I work with FreeBSD 4.3 RC3 since a few months on my laptop. Now I
tried to make a update to 4.6, and...

...on the booting process FreeBSD crashes. Here is the output:

[...]
[to this point all looks good]

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7018) \
      at 1.4 irq 5
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7013) \
      at 1.6 irq 10
pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=1039 device=0001)  \
      at device 2.ß on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci1: <SiS model 6300 VGA-compatible display device> \
      at 0.0
pci_cfgintr_virgin: using routable interrupt 3

fault virtual address = 0xeb902
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc00eb807
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc04ecd6c
frame pointer         = 0x10:0xc04ecd6c
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1h
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process       = 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask        = net tty bio cam
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault

additional information:

Notebook Model     : Baycom Worldbook II
ATA Controller     : SiS 5591
PSI-ISA bridge     : SiS 85c503
Network controller : SiS 900
USB Controller     : SiS 5571

My first idea was, that there was something wrong, when I compiled the
kernel, but the 4.5 install cd rom produces the same panic.

Now I'm confused: Why does 4.3RC3 support my notebook chipsets, but
4.5+ produce a panic?

Does anyone has a idea why FreeBSD produce this panic?

And: What can I do? I have the 4.3 RC3 cd rom here, but this is not
what I want to do.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Andreas Zymny