Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2020 15:50:46 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting with poudriere

On 16/02/2020 00:14, Dan McGrath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a bit of a heads up that poudriere will require you to be on the new
> version of FreeBSD before you can build for it on the current system. For
> example, if you are running 12.1, and you upgrade poudriere's jail to 13.0,
> it will complain that you have to be running that version on the host you
> are using it on. Ideally, poudriere should be running on it's own dedicated
> system, not the one you intend to deploy to.

Just a note that this is not a strict requirement. I have been upgrading
from FreeBSD 9 to 12 currently and was always building on the same
system that I am deploying to. Yes, poudriere will complain that the
jail is newer than the base system, but that did not create any major
practical problem for me yet.

I think only on one occasion I got a build error due to missing symbols.
Then the solution for me was to upgrade the base system. This of course
broke the applications that were installed for the older base, but
thanks to the FreeBSD's separation of base from ports, it's still
possible to start FreeBSD with just the command line. Then I finished
building the ports and reinstalled them.

Not that I encourage this approach, it might create additional issues to
solve, but it is possible/manageable and shouldn't be held against using
poudriere.

GrzegorzJ