Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:08:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        sparc@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone out there ?

> > 	Of course the biggest problem to me is the cost of Sparc
> > Architecture... I can get Ultra 5 in the $900-$1000 range. Yet can go down
> > to my local computer store a buy a decent PC for $400. Yes Sparc Hardware
> > is good, and if I needed it, might be worth the money. But I've been
> > building good quality servers for years and find it hard to justify the
> > extra money for a Sparc machine when PC does just as well. :)
>
> You cannot get the 24/7 HW support that Sun gives on most PC's.
> Nor the "just plug-n-play" of its hardware.

	On the other hand, I've got enough experience with PC hardware
that that is not going to be a problem. :) I can also easliy afford (If I
have too,) run down the street to buy a replacement part. Sun dosen't have
that. I can get next day shipping direct from Sun. I could even set myself
up with one of the Sun parts distributors in my area, but they all tend to
be the same way, next day shipping, no will call.
	As for Plug and Play... Sun's is nice, but again enough PC
Experience makes that a moot point. :)
	Saying all that, I'd still love to get my hand's on more Sparc
Hardware... it all comes down to cost. I'm not willing to plunk down the
money for even a used Ultra System with my non-needs. :)

					Rick