Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:34:58 +0200
From:      Bastien Semene <bsemene@cyanide-studio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Freebsd-update]cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory

  Le 29/09/2010 17:08, Jason a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 04:23:32PM +0200, Fernando Apesteguía thus spake:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Bastien Semene
>> <bsemene@cyanide-studio.com> wrote:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to upgrade a system from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE, but
>>> I have
>>> the following (non critical) errors :
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> This line appears hundred of times.
>>> After that, freebsd-update claims that many files are non existent
>>> in the
>>> new version and ask to delete them :
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or
>>> directory
>>> Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.
>>>
>>> The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in
>>> FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: /boot/device.hints
>>> Does this look reasonable (y/n)? n
>>>
>>> I have updated other systems without any difficulty (from the same
>>> 8.0 patch
>>> level to 8.1).
>>>
>>> I tried to delete /var/db/freebsd-update folder, but it changes
>>> nothing.
>>> Same error.
>>> I found older posts with people searching in the code which function
>>> did the
>>> error, but because everything was fine with the same context on other
>>> systems I think freebsd-update is mislead (it seems to miss the name
>>> of the
>>> file) at some point.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have some hints or direction to follow ?
>>
>> I reported this a while ago and try to get in touch with Colin
>> Percival with no luck. I finally could afford a fresh install.
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bastien Semene
>>> Administrateur Réseau&  Système
>>>
>>> Cyanide Studio - FRANCE
>>>

> What is the exact command line you are running that gets this error?
I'm exactly using :

freebsd-update -r 8.1-RELEASE upgrade

I'm sticking the manual, but using a custom kernel. At this stage this
should change nothing.

# uname
-a
[root@backup]
FreeBSD backup.cyanide-studio.com 8.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1
#3: Mon Dec  7 14:44:37 CET 2009
root@backup.cyanide-studio.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GEOMKERNEL  amd64

I installed the 8.0-RELEASE from CDs, as you can see I updated to
patchlevel 1 without trouble.

The only difference from other systems may be these geom drivers.

Here is the complete command output,
I said yes to the first question to show you how bad the question is :

Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 8.0-RELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

WARNING: This system is running a "geomkernel" kernel, which is not a
kernel configuration distributed as part of FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE.
This kernel will not be updated: you MUST update the kernel manually
before running "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc
src/games src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release
src/rescue src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin
src/usbin world/base world/catpages world/dict world/doc world/info
world/lib32 world/manpages world/proflibs

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/games

Fetching metadata signature for 8.1-RELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Fetching files from 8.0-RELEASE for merging... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Attempting to automatically merge changes in files... done.
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or director

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: /boot/device.hints
Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: /etc/amd.map