Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:51:55 -0800
From:      "Kian Mohageri" <kian.mohageri@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael K. Smith - Adhost" <mksmith@adhost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PFSync Not Working Correctly

On 2/6/07, Michael K. Smith - Adhost <mksmith@adhost.com> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I have two 6.2 RELEASE servers working in failover mode as PF Load
> Balancers.  When the MASTER box is failed (through reboot or interface
> shutdown, etc.) the BACKUP box becomes MASTER as expected, but
> connections that existed through the MASTER before the failover do not
> transfer as expected to the new MASTER.  New connections work
> immediately.
>
> When I issue a 'pfctl -vvss' the established connection shows up
> correctly in the state tables on both machines, so I would expect the
> established connection to work immediately upon failover.
>
> If anyone has any insights I'd be grateful.  I can also post any
> relevent output or config snippets if someone thinks they would help.

Increase pf verbosity, and also tcpdump -i pflog0 (you do block log, right?)
on your new MASTER when connections are failing.  That will tell you if
there is a state mismatch going on when connections fail over.  You first
want to make sure the mid-connection packets are even reaching the new
master.

--
Kian Mohageri