Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:12:45 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Andrey V. Pevnev" <andrey@mgul.ac.ru>, "Martin Matuska" <matuska@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: 4.6 - sendmail: libsm.a and libsmutil.a

On 13 Jun 2002, at 16:08, Andrey V. Pevnev boldly uttered:

> Hello, Philip!
>
> This is a forwarded message
> From: Stephane Lentz <Stephane.Lentz@ansf.alcatel.fr>
> To: mimedefang@lists.roaringpenguin.com <mimedefang@lists.roaringpenguin.com>
> Date: Thursday, June 13, 2002, 3:40:18 PM
> Subject: [Mimedefang] libsm.a and libsmutil.a
>
> ===8<==============Original message text===============
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 07:28:50AM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Andrey V. Pevnev wrote:
> >
> > >  >They are internal build libraries and not needed by anything else.
> > >  >libmilter applications do not require them.
> >
> > I'll have to test it.  I can only test on Linux and Solaris, but I'll
> > check.
>
> I once saw something interesting about this topic in J-chkmail's
> mailing-list (the post was from Jose : j-chkmail's author)
>
> - before version 8.12, libmilter used the strlcpy function
> strlcpy (part of libsmutil), hence the need of this lib for linking.
>
> - in versions 8.12.0 et 8.12.1, the  sm_snprintf function was used
> instead (defined in libsm).
>
> - since version 8.12.2, sendmail uses the snprintf function defined
> in the standard  libc...
>
> so now (sendmail >= 8.12.2) these libs are not needed to compile
> Milter appplications ...
>
> best regards,
>
> SL/
> --
> ---
> Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services

Thanks for that info.

Clearly Sendmail has their work cut out for them in regards to
documentation - it's a mess. (ie the info above should be in the
Sendmail README file, I would think)

I'd offer to help but my knowledge of Sendmail is so rudimentary I'd
probably hurt more than help..

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium