Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 96 3:00:57 EST
From:      Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu (Kazem Akbari), freebsd@freebsd.com, xfree86@xfree86.com, questions@xfree86.com
Subject:   Re: Question regarding CD-Drive access and XF86

|==>
|==> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Kazem Akbari wrote:
|==>
|==> >    It has been  for past three weeks which  I am struggling to install
|==> > and test the XFree86 on my computer but in spite of all my efforts the
|==> > resolution is really terrible and  I cannot do anything  to fix it.
|==>
|==> It would be nice if you would tell us what the problem is :)

The problem is,  the resolution of my X-window  is  terrible, in other
words the cursor scrolls down, up, left, and right out of the frame of
my monitor, I mean  some of the  windows  are not visiible unless  you
point the curser  to the sides of  monitor's screen.  In addition, the
Ctl-Alt-+ is not working for the  recycling of the resolution.  In the
mean time, there are three windows in the  X-window (login, xterm, and
xterm) environment, but the problem  is, my T-shell facilities are not
working properly (i.e., aliases).  And also when I click on the "exit"
of the   icon-menu to get  out  the X-window,   only the icon-menu get
disappeared but  the system  does not shut  down the  X-window, so the
only solution  is to type  Ctl-Alt-BackSpace to get out  the X-window.
Therefore, I tried to  fix the problems  by having access to the extra
CD-rom from vendor (Walnut Creek), but I couldn't mount it because the
message says: mount: Command not found. I believe  the cdrom device is
not  configured.  Anyways, any  help  is  appreciated  to solve  these
problems.

|==> > In
|==> > the  mean time, I do not  know how to have  access to  CD-Drive in the
|==> > Unix system to read from (i.e., %> D: in DOS for example).  It will be
|==> > greatly   appreciated  if you give me    a detailed direction  for the
|==> > successful installation  of  the  XFree86  and having access   to  the
|==> > "Floppy  and  CD drivers".

|==> What UNIX are you using?  FreeBSD?  If so, I need to know what kind of
|==> CDROM you have, where it is connected, and some generic machine details
|==> (cpu, disks, etc).

I am using the FreeBSD 2.1, and other information is as follows:

CD: 6x internal from TEAC
Floppy: 1.44 from NEC
CPU: Intel Pentum 133 MHz
Motherboard: Endeavor II, with Triton Chipset and 512kb Pipline-Burst Cache
RAM: 32MB EDO (60ns)
Hard: 2.1 GB EIDE from Seagate
Graphic: Diamond Stealth-64 Video VRAM (model 3400XL) with 4MB VRAM
Monitor: CTX 1785GMe .26 dp and (1280x1024)

I hope it's enough. Should you have any further question don't
hesitate to drop me a note.

Kazem Akbari.