Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:45:31 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg memory leak

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:59:28PM -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
>
>> It seems that while my terminal window remains relatively small (around
>> 80x30 characters), there doesn't seem to be any impact. However, if I
>> drag the window border to expand the size of it (to like 220x70 or
>> something), then it starts to chew up memory from the Xorg process. It
>> can sometimes get so bad as to take ~100MB per second at times. Normal
>> xterm does not seem to exhibit this behavior. One thing that I've
>> noticed is that the memory-eating seems to coincide with the point where
>> the gnome-terminal window's redraw rate starts to lag from the window
>> being far too large.
>>

> That's an interesting comment.  Does gnome-terminal have any equivalent
> to the '+s' (synchronous) option on xterm and, if so, does that have any
> effect?

"gnome-terminal --sync" does this, but it doesn't seem to help any.

>> It won't go back down until Xorg is actually closed.
>>

> I think this implies that it's a bug in the X server because otherwise
> the resources would be released when the offending client is closed.
>
> Unfortunately, I think I'm out of ideas on how to track down the
> problem, sorry.

Thanks for the help, this might be an across-the-board Xserver problem,
but I was curious if it *might* have some root in some of the latest
changes to 8-CURRENT HEAD. I am going to float this on
bugs.freedesktop.org and see if anyone else can help.

--
Coleman Kane