Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 19:39:33 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing Cross Builds

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 05:57:31PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:10:17PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > After reviewing the world Makefiles, it sure looks like FreeBSD does
> > not support 'installworld' of a cross build?
>
> Running installworld on machine X, when you did a cross-build for
> machine X on machine Y is broken. All other cases should work,
> AFACT.
>
> The brokenness is directly caused by inconsistent setting of OBJTREE.
> This is indirectly caused make release, for make release expects the
> object tree to be under /usr/obj and not /usr/obj/${TARGET_ARCH}.

Well, the more direct reason for the breakage is caused by the fact
that the PATH during install is,

  ${WORLDTMP}/usr/sbin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/bin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/games:${INSTALLTMP}

Which is usually ${OBJTREE}${.CURDIR}/${MACHINE_ARCH}. But that
directory doesn't exist. (Or is that what you are saying?) If you fix
that, there is the same issue with ${OBJFORMAT_PATH}. Once you fix
that, you have shared lib problems. (I've never quite figured out what
${INSTALLTMP} is even there for.)