Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:37:18 +0200
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anything using gnome-vfs-2.16.1 segfaults

Hans Nieser wrote:
> Installed gnome 2.16 today and found that various applications crash on
> startup. Others (i.e. Eye of Gnome) crash when the open-file dialog is
> opened. (Some backtraces at end of this message.)
>
> It seems _gtk_xdg_alias_list_lookup is called with list == NULL, this
> should never happen unless xdg_mime_init wasn't called by gnome-vfs first.
> Why this is so, is beyond me.
>
> kaeru in #freebsd-gnome on freenode said his troubles went away when he
> reverted to gnome-vfs-2.16.0.
>
> Some backtraces:

<snip>

Ok it seems gnome-vfs-2.16.1 updated their xdgmime code, which removes
several xdg_mime_init() calls from various functions in xdgmime.c which
gnome-vfs relied upon for the initialisation of the alias_list global.

I don't know enough about gnome-vfs/xdgmime to come up with a patch but I
will file a bugreport at gnome's buzilla anyway.