Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:46:21 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine64 and USB bug

On 2019-Jul-8, at 02:39, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 01:03:43 -0700
> Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-Jul-7, at 13:08, Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> on both Pine64 and Pine64-LTS I observed a problem with USB ports.
>>> Both board have two ports, lower one (nearer to PCB) works, but
>>> upper one does not.
>>>

> [ snip ]
>

>> But, ss I remember, the 1-USB-port-usable status has been true
>> much longer than that . . . Looking . . .
>>
>> Head -r324563 is where ECHI was (re-)enabled on the lower port.
>> The note from -r323641 still applied back then:
>>
>> QUOTE:
>> This (plus 323640) re-enable OHCI on Pine64 on the bottom USB port.
>> The top USB port is routed to the OHCI0/EHCI0 which is by default in
>> OTG mode. While the phy code can handle the re-route to standard
>> OHCI/EHCI we still need a driver for musb to probe and configure it
>> in host mode. :END QUOTE
>>

> Thanks, Mark, this explains why... The question is, what could be done
> to fix it.

I'm not a FreeBSD developer, so I've a rather limited view
of the possibilities.

> By the way, in /boot/loader.conf, there are lines
>
> # Configure USB OTG; see usb_template(4).
> hw.usb.template=3
>
> Looking in man page, this is for USB device... and as (for Pine64-LTS
> case at least) there are just two USB type A connectors, i. e. only
> for host controllers.

The Pine64+ 2GB also externally has only 2 type A connectors (given
the usual power connection's use anyway).

But I'm not aware of OTG restricting the allowed connector types.
In other words: I can not infer "host controller" from "type A
connector". As far as I know OTG is valid for that type of
connector, even if it might not be typical overall.

> For device side there should be other connector
> type. Any comments?

See above.

> And looking for musb, there seems to be just one implementation in
> current src tree, for TI's am335x. So for Allwinner's SoC we have
> nothing.
>
> Any hint? Could OHCI0/EHCI0 be switched from default OTG mode? Or is
> the musb driver for A64 the only way?

I take the original author's note that I quoted as accurate --but it
is not a subject area where I'd be likely to notice an error if there
was one.

I've used a powered hub for the most part when I've used USB on the
Pine64+ 2GB. But the extra equipment, space, etc. is not a problem
for my context.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com