Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 11:38:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SCSI target

I've added a SCSI target device.  Using this you can act as a target
and another system acting as an initiator can send data to you over
the SCSI bus.

However, the only host adapter that supports this is the Adaptec
1542B.  The 1542C will hang the bus big time if you put it into
target mode, so I've locked it out.

I have little hope that most of the commercial firmware will support
this properly, so if some of our firmware crankers want to start
cranking firmware they can look at the isa/aha1542c to get a feel
for how it should act.  I'll have a Acculogic board with the NCR
825 in house for a while.

Basically there is an escape added to put the host adapter in target
mode.  Once it is in target mode it must respond to the mandatory
commands:  INQUIRY, REQUEST SENSE, SEND DIAGNOSTIC and TEST UNIT
READY as well as the two data transfer commands SEND DATA and
RECEIVE DATA.

The 1542 model is good, and I suggest we just use that as much as
possible.

You can set up a data transfer in advance, with information that
indicates which initiator it is for, and then when that initiator
connects the board does the transfer.

If an initiator connects to the 1542 when it doesn't have a transfer
set up for that initiator, the 1542 will disconnect, generate a
device interrupt, and report the ID and LUN of the initiator that
connected as well as the amount of data the initiator wants to
transfer.

Eventually I'd like to add support for reserving units on the SCSI
bus, sharing read only disk partitions, and running TCP/IP over
SCSI using target mode capable host adapters.  I think that could
make for a nice little cluster.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936