Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:10:55 -0500
From:      cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting started with FreeBSD

I am a complete newb to BSD trying to get started learning a bit about
how to make my way in it.  I have been using Slackware over the last
four years or so, and this has made me a bit used to one way of doing
things and now the FreeBSD way is kind of rattling me.

For some background, I installed from the FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE discs,
and this is also what I get from uname -r.  What I don't understand is
the relationship between ports, packages and security.  For instance,
I am currently using firefox 1.5.0.1, which I keep seeing online is
not terribly secure.  However, I am confused about what FreeBSD makes
available to update this and other similar packages.  I installed this,
and most of the rest of the system, from the discs via packages, and
hope to keep packages as my main method.  I have had some experience
in the past with twenty hour compiles of kdelibs on Gentoo and really
don't want that again but I cannot find any info anywhere on how to
approach updating for security via packages.

I installed once previously as a test, and in that system followed the
only online information I could find which seemed relevant, and that
was regarding cvsup.  I backed up the ports directory and setup a
supfile according the handbook and a couple of examples, and went
ahead and ran it.  From there I started checking how things would go
if I ran portupgrade on a couple of apps.  I chose the infamous
kdelibs as my sample.  When I ran portupgrade -P, just to check
things out and see what I would get, it failed to find a package and
started grabbing the source.  No, couldn't do that, so I killed it.
I then tried again with portsnap and got the same result.

When I looked at the complaint I found that it was looking for what
appeared to be a nonexistent file.  I am not sure now, but it was
something like kdelibs-3.5.4 and the server it was searching on,
something which ended in ...packages-6.1-release I think, had only
kdelibs-3.5.1.  As a matter of fact, I went through all the
directories I could find online (including 6 and 7 stable, release and
current) and was unable to find the package my system was looking for
in any of them.  This failure, and the confusion which ensued, are
what cause me to wonder just how to keep things like the
aforementioned firefox up to date.

I am now in a situation where I am unsure of what to do as regards
updates, and can really find nothing which clarifies things much
online.  Everything I find says to run cvsup and use a supfile
entirely like that which I used before, and that did not work out.
How do I use new, more secure ports and yet still be able to use
binary packages?  Is updating ports with cvsup the only way?  And if
so, what did I do wrong before?  The inability to use binary packages
for giant, though in my case needed, bloatware like kde made me leave
Gentoo behind and I want to know whether that is the only future for
FreeBSD too.  I am assuming that since there are binary packages
online for these files they must be usable, I just don't know how to
get to them from tools like portupgrade.  Or if that is how you even
try to upgrade a system from packages.  I just can't find any really
relevant guides for this type of thing, so I am supposing that
everyone just compiles everything.

Any help in this is very much appreciated, and sorry if I am
overlooking super obvious information somewhere about this.  I
probably am, but I just can't find it.

Patrick