Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:15:10 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        fbsdq <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: motherboard fbsd 5.x

On Jul 16, 2005, at 7:17 AM, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> I read the pages about supported hardware. It dazzles me.
>
> I want to buy a new motherboard. I will run FreeBSD-5.4 (and later
> on v6.x) on it. No fancy stuff like raid. Just plenty of memory and
> good performance and fbsd support tothe fullest(!).
>

>> From what I understand there are still some problems with AMD64
>> boards. Still, 64bits is the future.. so is it better to wait a
>> while, _or_ are there *good* supported motherboards for amd64?
>>

> Maybe it's better to stay with Intel and FreeBSD?

My dual opteron Tyan S2882 board is rock solid.  I am running the
i386 version of FreeBSD since when I started working with it I needed
some java stuff which at the time was not working on the AMD64
version.  It has been running since April of 04 and in production
since Feb of this year.

I use it with SCSI RAID controller so I cannot speak of the ATA/SATA
support.

Chad