Date:      07 Jul 1999 23:01:13 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no> writes:
> > +	    realpat = grep_malloc(strlen(pattern) + sizeof("^(")
> > +				  + sizeof(")$") + 1);
> Why not just use asprintf?

Doesn't matter, thsis code is gone in the latest version. You though
the linux 'kernel of the day' was bad; now you have the FreeBSD 'grep
of the minute' :)

> In this case it doesn't matter but in general this function is wrong.
> malloc(0) can return NULL.

Agreed.

> And besides, I really don't think this is a grep function but actually
> is useful for programs that don't have any strategy for handling out
> of memory errors and might as well die (with a descriptive error
> message, of course).  Let's call it emalloc and let's put in somewhere
> where it can be used.

Too simple to warrant that, and other programs will likely want to
handle the error differently.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no