Date:      Fri, 4 May 2012 09:44:15 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, net@frebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fast bcopy...

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 08:25:57PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> as part of my netmap investigations, i was looking at how
> expensive are memory copies, and here are a couple of findings
> (first one is obvious, the second one less so)

Most C compilers (well, the ones I regularly use) inline small,
constant-length memcpy operations of the sort you're describing
here.  I would expect techniques like that to beat any amount of
hand-tuning in a elf-linkage bcopy subroutine.

Sure, you want a good implementation for your variable-length
copies, and data layout and alignment is tremendously important
these days, so there's no single silver bullet here.

Cheers,

--
Andrew