Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 18:45:56 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        matt@lkg.dec.com, vernick@cs.sunysb.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI/EISA/ISA performance

> > Whose thumb are you looking at?  8-).
>
> Yours has a few facts wrong :-(.

You're right; I looked at the EISA spec.  It's different than my board
settings, but then again, I may have lucked out by buying noting but high
end components.

My personal EISA system is running ~2 times spec (16.6MHz (50MHz/3));
it's definitely an over clocked exception.

You should substitute MCA for EISA in the original post, and my
numbers become happy again, since that's what I was thinking about;
I just got a bunch of docs for PC busses and was reading them
last night.

> ISA does not have a specified clock frequency, I have seen it running
> as fast as 16Mhz.  Most boards die above 10Mhz, but some of the more
> specialized industrial applications boards are spec'd upto 12 or 16Mhz.

I've seen a lot of boards, especially serial boards and cheap floppy
controllers die at anything other than 8.  Many older floppy controllers
used dividers instead of real clocks to get frequencies, with the result
that you had to turn off "turbo" mode (drop from 16/12 to 8Mhz on the
machine) to read commercially manufactured floppies.

Actually, this is the gist of a reply I made on "questions" recently.

> You'll never crank an ISA bus upto anywhere near
> the speed of any of the others.  Hard top speed limits are more like:
>
> ISA:	5MB/sec
> EISA:	33MB/sec
> VLB:	132MB/sec
> PCI:	132MB/sec

I think the VLB number here is a marketing lie.  It can't be sustained
at anywhere near that level because of it stealing refresh cycles; the
good thing about PCI is that it handles memory contention better and
gurantees cache writeback (VLB guarantess this only for master slots,
and doesn't guarantee master slots).

VLB is an OK video bus, but fairly crummy for anything else.

VLB should come up better (40MHz) than PCI (33MHz), but this would
be "marketing better" and not "technical better", IMO.  I know only
a few VLB cards that can actually go faster than 33.

> And it would have probably done very well had IBM not required all
> the stupid licenseing to use it.

Buy a Tandy? 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu