Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:07:11 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-fortran@freebsd.org

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 08:59:52AM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> 	From sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu Wed Jul 10 00:33:34 2013
>
>> 	OpenMPI is
>> 	the only Fortran code that I routinely build outside of the
>> 	ports.
>
> Please elaborate.
> I don't know much about the differences between OpenMPI
> and mpich. The latter seems to work:
>
> # pkg info -xr mpi
> mpich2-1.3.2.p1_1,5:
>         scotch-5.1.12.b.e
>         astk-serveur-1.11.0
>         blocksolve95-3.0_10
>         ParMetis-4.0_1

I've used both mpich2 and OpenMPI on i386 and amd64 systems.
In the testing I've done with my applications, OpenMPI simply
out performed mpich2.  This was a while ago, so things may have
changed.  OpenMPI just works.  The one issue I had with OpenMPI
was resolved within a day.  Note, I do not use ports/net/openmpi.
I download the latest version from the OpenMPI, unpack it, run
configure and install.

--
Steve