Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:46:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
Subject:   tightvnc trouble

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I performed a fresh installation of FreeBSD 6.2, updated to STABLE world and kernel, deleted all packages and installed up-to-date versions of packages.  The upgrade to xorg 7.2 was uneventful.  (whew)

After using tightvnc, the user that started vncserver is unable to access an X window locally, even after killing vncserver and rebooting.  All I get is a grey screen with a black crosshair until xinit gives up with the messages below.  The first section is repeated several times before the program gives up.

#####messages begin#####
AUDIT: Tue Jul 17 08:34:12 2007: 853 X: client 1 rejected from local host (uid 1002)
Xlib: No protocol specified

..
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X Server

waiting for X server to shut down ..FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1, fixing.

xinit:  Server error.

After this happened, I had to remove and recreate the user to get X working again.  Root, who never executed vncserver, was able to use X before and after tightvnc was used.

To recreate this scenario, I created a new user, "vncguest", with a .xinitrc file containing only one line:  "startkde".  Vncserver was started using the default options (twm, etc).  After remote access was opened and closed, vncguest has been unable to use X.  My normal user can still use X (kde).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Andrew