Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:54:22 +0200
From:      "Rink Springer" <rink@springer.cx>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need some help developing my ethernet driver.

Hi,

I am currently working on a driver for the D-Link DE620 Parallel Ethernet
card driver. I used the if_el.c code as a base, for it appears to be a
relatively easy driver (my driver is called dl0 BTW, for D-Link. Anyknow
know if this conflicts somewhere?).

Anyhow, the problem is: I've gotten FreeBSD to recognize a 'device dl0 at
isa? port 0x378 irq 7' line in the kernel. It happily compiles my source
file and links the kernel.

But, for some reason, the new kernel never probes for the driver! Can anyone
tell me what I might have missed? In order to add the driver, I've added

i386/isa/if_dl.c                  optional              dl

to /sys/conf/files.i386 in order to get the kernel to use my code... but why
won't the thing probe for it? I've added debugging messages like:

printf ("dl: Probing\n");

and such, but I don't see them, and the kernel doesn't say 'dl0 at blah
blah' or 'dl0 not detected at blah blah'.

What am I doing wrong? *please* help me!

Thanks!
--Rink