Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:23:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Arthur W. Neilson III" <art@pilikia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL 2550 boxen

:
:We are looking at purchasing some DELL 2550 2U rackmount servers,
:anyone using these puppies in a production environment with FreeBSD
:4.4 STABLE?  Searched thru the mailing list archives and saw that some
:folks had a bit of trouble with 4.3 recognising the PERC controller.
:I'd appreciate any info anyone can provide....
:--
:                     -- Sherlock Holmes, "A Scandal in Bohemia"
: Arthur W. Neilson III, WH7N - FISTS #7448
: Bank of Hawaii Network Services

    The DELL 2550's are *awesome* machines.  We have a bunch of them.  They
    are very, very nice boxes.

    note that FreeBSD supports just about everything on the box, including the
    gigabit ethernet, but the gigabit ethernet is still somewhat experimental
    and crashes on one of my 2550's on boot sometimes when I configure the bge
    device (maybe we can nudge Bill Paul to revisit it if someone else can
    reproduce the problem).

    In anycase, the ones I have are duel-1.2 GHz and can build the world in
    26 minutes.  I think the newer ones go up to 1.9 GHz.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>