Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:16:03 -0700
From:      Steve Misek <misek@boulder.openware.com>
To:        fgreco@lehman.com
Cc:        oi-users@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Rules to speed up the creation of OI objects

 ::
 ::  I noticed that if uib is having
 :: problems with the colormap it streams warning messages to stderr first,
 :: then it seems that you guys redirect stderr to the footer of uib and
 :: the "cannot get color blah...blah..." messages get blasted to the uib
 :: footer.  Of course uib resizes to fit the text and I get the "Oprah
 :: Winfrey Effect"... uib expands and contracts in an seemingly endless
 :: loop.  Is there anything I can do to StopTheMadness(tm)?
 ::
 ::  - yeah... I know about the "get a 24-bit frame buffer" solution already... ;)
 ::

the stderr first, then revector to internal logging mechanism happens
halfway through the builder initialization ---  thus all that you're
seeing there is the builder asking OI to revector its stderr calls
to a function that uib specifies...  ok, to keep from getting a dozen
email messages about this, the call is:
	OI_push_stderr
this is discussed on pp5-12 in the book that you have buried under piles
of paper on your desk.

Regarding the annoying messages filtering up from Xlib because *someone*
was rude enough (mosaic?) to have stolen *every* color map entry (both of
them? :-), to get around the pulsating animation, do the following:
In your Xdefaults file, set

	uib*helpStringLength:	20

by default its set to 50.

regarding the "Oprah Effect"... (since you've already stolen all the
good jokes)  I could discuss
	uib*animationRate
exect *that* joke is so subtle, only two of us will get it...
and since that won't be documented for a year or two, I'll refer
you back to the helpStringLength instead.

steve misek
misek@boulder.openware.com