Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:37:58 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting aux display on laptop to be the only display

Laptop VGA cards are only two types: independently driven, or
mirrored.  The former is what allows the internal and external to
display different things simultaneously.  The latter is a 1:1 mirror
image on one and other.  All laptops I've seen when the external VGA
is enabled are mirrored.  Via VGA driver functions, you can make them
independent.

My guess for what you need is xrandr, to which I'm not very well
versed.  It seems to be "the answer" when it comes to video output
layout, size, orientation...  swiss army knife.

I'm welcome to corrections and learning myself, but I would shoot for
VGA driver and/or xrandr tweaking first.