Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:36:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        eivind@freebsd.org (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        brandon@roguetrader.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: savecore before swapon?

As Eivind Eklund wrote...
> On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:26:00AM -0700, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> > I havn't checked the source, but from my understanding shouldn't
> > savecore be run before swapon is run, incase the swap device is the
> > dump device?  Or to look at it another way, when swapon is run on a
> > swap device, does it look first to see if there is a dump in it, and
> > if so what does it do?  Right now we run swapon, then considerably
> > later we run savecore.  Assuming swapon just trashes whatever was in
> > that device, running savecore is pretty much irrelevant, as most
> > people I know (not necessarily in FreeBSD) use their swap device as a
> > dump point.
>
> This is done intentionally, as fsck may in some cases require swap
> to be able to fsck large filesystems.
>
> It would make sense to have a sysctl
> 'only_swap_as_absolutely_last_resort_not_for_performance' AKA
> 'do_linux_swapping_scheme' which was set before the swapon, and unset
> after the crashdump.  I don't know how to implement this.  (It might
> be that one of the present sysctls does something like this - I've not
> checked).

Or start allocating swap 'backwards' from the high block# on the disk
downwards. Assuming swap > physical mem and dumps starting at swap offset 0
this should be safe at all times (unless fsck really allocates all swap
of course ;-)

But this might be a lot of work, I'm not familiar with the VM.

Wilko