Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 07:38:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

According to Satoshi Asami:
>  * Suppose I have a program foobar, and the person who wrote foobar
>  * decided to name a file tk.h.  Now, suppose I install foobar in /usr/local
>  * and tk.h ends up in /usr/local/include.  Furthermore, foobar needs
>  * tk.h to run (it may contain config info).   Removing tk.h is not a
>  * good thing.
>
> This is ridiculous.  What's going to happen if some port's configure
> script finds it and thinks it's the tk header?

Add the TK_HEADER_CONFLICT variable!!!! The port will not have
a problem.

> Steve, we have explored many possibilities before finalizing on the
> current solution.  (No, we didn't actually consider adding an extra
> variable to every port's Makefile that requires tcl or tk.  That's too
> expensive, besides it doesn't help prevent the source of the biggest
> headache, i.e., port submissions from people who have obsolete files
> on their system.)

I'm sure you did investigate many alternatives.  I guess I've
been spoiled by your normal elegant solutions to these kinds of
problems.  IMHO, completely disabling the ports tree is not
an elegant solution.

> Please let's not waste any more time on this.  If you have a problem
> with having to remove a couple of files so the whole system can stay
> manageable and work for most of the users, then I'm sorry but the
> ports system is not for you.

You're right I've wasted too much time trying to improve the
system.  Can you at least change the message to something like

IGNORE= ": You have an old file \(${file}\) that could cause problems
for some ports to compile.  \(${file}\) can safely be removed."

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html