Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:33:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Ryan K. Losh" <rklosh@rkl.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, pir@pir.net
Subject:   Re: 4.4-Stable + USB question...

> "Ryan K. Losh" <rklosh@networksplus.net> probably said:
> > keyboard over to the external keyboard.  However, the exterior, USB
> > mouse doesn't seem to function at all.  It looks like a moused process
> > is started for /dev/ums0, but any motion or clicks don't seem to do
> > anything.  Any clues for this USB newbie?  Sorry in advance if I didn't
> > RTFM, or posted to the wrong list...
>
> Are you using moused in general ? I use moused for the touchpad in my
> Z505HS and when I plug in an external usb mouse it Just Works since
> the input from both moused processes are both used. X or anything else
> that uses the mouse has to be pointed at /dev/sysmouse to take the
> input from moused rather than directly from the pointing device.

I guess my original post was not clear.  I'm not plugging a USB mouse
in.  The cable I purchased has a USB connector at one end, and two
PS/2 style ports, (one with a keyboard and one with a mouse) on the
other end.  So, I'm not using a "true" USB mouse here...

Yes, I plug the cable (which already has the mouse and kbd plugged in)
into the USB slot, type kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 on the laptop keyboard
which switches the console kbd to the external one.  The external kbd
functions as expected, the laptop one doesn't.  The laptop mouse
continues to work, the external (logitech trackman marble, FWIW)
doesn't.  Moving the external mouse does nothing on the screen...

Unplugging the USB cable kills the moused, and switches the keyboard
back to the laptop kbd.

Any clues???

Ryan