Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:25:36 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: 3d in 1280x1024

On Saturday, 31st July 1999, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

>> How the RIVA based cards compare to Matrox ones in the case of 2D
>> quality?
>
>Hard to judge, as I don't use the same monitors at home (RIVA) and at
>work (G200).
>
>A nice Sony Trinitron or a good LCD display (slow but no distortions)
>is something I notice, differences among cards I usually spot only when the
>cards are horrible. And the nvidia cards are good enough for me so far.
>
>> All usual references in the 'Net say that RIVA cards have below
>> average 2D quality but I haven't tried myself.
>
>Was this not rather due to 3d issues (different MIP mapping or so)?

No, just pure 2D.  Differences in 3D quality are a separate matter.  A recent
quote from AnandTech:

  The 2D image quality of the Gigabyte GA-660 follows the pattern of other
  TNT2's out there - it is fine at resolutions up to 1280 x 1024, but at
  1600 x 1200 the image quality takes a noticeable dive.  Although it is
  noticeably better than the best TNT cards in terms of 2D image quality
  most TNT2 based cards, aren't too friendly on your eyes at 1600 x 1200
  and above.

That quote from:
  http://www.anandtech.com/html/review_display.cfm?document=1006&pagenum=2

I'm also trying to decide between TNT2 and G400.  I already have a G200 and
its 2D is excellent.  But now I have a gaming machine to kit out too.

Stephen.