Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:02:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting apache's upload speed?

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 211, Issue 1
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

(quoting 2 separate messages, one of the occasional joys of digests :)

 > ADSL modems (at least this used by polish telecom) tend to choke when
 > upload bandwidth is near max. delays gets even above 1000ms

and

 > probably not. at least here with polish telecom's ADSL services, just
 > uploading one thing with ftp somewhere slows everything down, unless
 > traffic management is used

Both are true - I've seen p2p uploads pushing pings towards 3000ms while
I'm trying! to work via ssh from outside - but it's nothing to do with
your ISP/telco in particular; it's just the nature of A(symmetric)DSL.

I'm only using ipfw+dummynet pipes for such so far, but hope to try out
WF2Q+ queuing soon to prioritise traffic so I can ease up on b/w limits.

cheers, Ian