Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:12:11 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porters handbook missing for docs webpage

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 04:31:11PM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> > My preferred approach to this is to set up docs.freebsd.org, probably
> > modeled along very similar lines to docs.sun.com.  We can then set up
> > the links within docs.freebsd.org along much more logical and simple
> > lines than the mess of links, redirects, and Makefile kludges that
> > sit in the current web site.
>
> Woo hoo!  :-)
>
> > This is probably simpler than trying to iteratively improve the
> > situation in www/.
> >
> > Volunteers wanted.
>
> What do you have in mind?

Didn't we go through this at Usenix :-)

Ideally, the site should present the user with the documentation organised
in a number of different ways.

The first, and easiest way is to show the man/article/book distinction, and
let the user find what they want that way.  That should be rev 1.0.

What I'd also like to do is create several virtual categories, and place
some of the documentation in to those categories.  So, a hypothetical
"Using Samba on FreeBSD" document might go in to the "File sharing",
"Windows", and "Printing" categories (assuming it talked about Samba
printing).

Internally we would arrange this with a CATEGORIES variable in the Makefile
(or similar) that created a bunch of symlinks.  As far as *we*, the
infrastructure people, are concerned, we still only distinguish between
man pages, books, and articles.  But the end user can browse through different
categories as necessary.  This is rev 2.0.

In my really ideal world, the website is built from some template pages and
a script that works its way through the installed documentation.  So the
canonical docs.freebsd.org would be produced from a fully installed
documentation set.  However, end users should be able to use the same script
to produce an HTML tree on their local machine which accurately reflects the
documentation they have installed.