Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:37:03 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Western Digital HDs

At 12:15 PM 1/27/2002, Nils Holland wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>well, does anyone have some experience with Western Digital's current
>drives, specifically the 80 GB WD800BB? Mine just quitted service for good
>with interesting clicks and then a whole lot of unrepairable errors in WD's
>diagnostic software.

WD hard drives are a very mixed bag. I have a server with one of their
3GB units that has worked perfectly for more than 5 years without one
glitch. I've heard horror stories about other models, though.

Sam's Club had a $100 rebate on their 100GB/Ultra100 model up until the
new year, bringing the net price down to $129, so I installed one. It's
worked fine so far, but it's too early even to see if it'll make it past
the infant mortality period. When 4.5 is done I'll load it onto the
machine and use the WD drive as a big Web cache, so the drive is sure
to get plenty of exercise. We'll see how it holds up.

--Brett