Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:47:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Steve Milliner <steve@icis.qut.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem transmision problems??

RECAP: modem overflow problem

/kernel: sio3: 78 more tty-level buffer overflows

occurs: during mail delivery.

tried: decreasing build up of mail on queue to stop flooding modem

> Are you using user-mode ppp?  If so, it sounds like the machine is
> heavily loaded and the ppp process is being starved of CPU for extended
> periods of time.

Yep using user ppp.

AS for load - not really (98% idle) - not heavy enough to cause
starvation in any case - which kind of suggests its a sending
rather than receiving problem I guess??

Does anyone know if there are problems with how hang-ups
on the client side are handled by FBSD - ie. the mail starts to get pushed
on to the device, part way through the connection goes down, but data
is still pushed on to the modem which now (obviously)
can't get rid of it ?? but I find it hard to believe that this case would
not be handeled (ie. sync sending of data to modem) ????

I guess I could go on making up little stories all week,
SO Any solutions/experiences (especially solutions :>)
would be VERY gratefully reveived!

thanks in advance

REGS Stephen