Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:43:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MT-Safe wrapper around memcpy()?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to write a wrapper around memcpy()
which can call fprintf() without winding up getting into a recursive
loop.  The problem is that fprintf() will call memcpy() and around and
around we go.

I can use a global variable to prevent this, but that usage isn't thread
safe.  I can make it thread safe by using pthread keys, but then i have to
link in libc_r, and for non-pthreaded programs i don't want to do that.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Right now I'm almost thinking that I just
need to directly patch libc and libc_r.  It might be an ugly patch though,
and I'd rather not have this patch mandate recompiling all of libc.