Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:17:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Jim Bloom wrote:

> I believe this must be fixed.  At some point in time, there is going to be
> another change to the kernel such that some older version of the code cannot run
> on a new kernel.  I believe this situation has occurred before.  This will lead
> to a situation where a new kernel is required before the build and a new build
> is required before the new kernel is installed.  We cannot have this paradox.

FTPing a GENERIC kernel from somewhere would solve this, then just
single user the box, make world.  Build your kernel.  Reboot.

I have to side with the people who say that this being a problem for
someone means that person shouldn't be running -current.

Furthermore, for when 4.0 becomes a -R or -S, ftping in a compiled kernel
shouldn't be that hard of a price to pay for going from 3.2.

/stand/sysinstall based upgrades could easily seemlessly take care of
this, too.

I'm sure people are working on a fix for having to do this, but doing it
just isn't this big of a deal.  Maybe I'm missing something.

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -