Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:21:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Do you have some neat configuration files?

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:34:00PM +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Greg has really placed two separate proposals here before you, the
>> first being the collection of some nifty startup file bits and "canned
>> user profiles" which Joe User might crib from, just as hackers on true
>> timesharing UNIX systems used to crib useful tidbits from various
>> admin personnel's startup files when left readable, and the second
>> being the actual incorporation of this data into the CVS repository
>> for more ongoing "skeleton file" work.
>
> I would rather suggest making this a port/package, something like a
> `defaultuser' package.  Of course, we should learn from some L-system
> distributions, and work hard to avoid that people will actually be
> able to install this user setup without customizing it (thus sending
> out mail from an account named `default' or such later).

Good idea.

> Having said this, it now requires a volunteer...

I suppose I volunteered.  Now let's have some suggestions how to do
it.  As you probably know, I'm up to my eyeballs getting the next
edition of CFBSD out, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can do
anything, but since I want to refer to it in the book, it would be a
good idea to get our act together.

Greg