Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:17:08 -0500
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, owensc@enc.edu
Subject:   RE: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

> ----------
>
>    * Current work is being done to develop Linux kernel extensions
> that
>        will allow access to files via raw inodes.  This development is
>        seen as key to allowing Coda to support large filespaces with
>        reasonable performance.  See this URL for Peter's notes on
>        these extensions:
>
>        http://telemann.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/linux-coda/0225.html

Probably I don't understand something or understand something
wrong but it does not seem a really big issue for me. As far
as I understood from this article, Coda uses some traditional
filesystem as its lower level ? And it needs this inode access
to speed up the operation ? Then why not just create a special
filesystem that will not contain any data except Coda's and
that will use inode numbers instead of file names ? Or, as
a yet simpler approach, write a user-level library that will
make its own filesystem structure in a plain file (and then it
will be possible to use a disk special file as this plain file) ?

-SB