Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:43:42 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
Cc:        "\"Narviel.Beyer <\"Narviel.Beyer" <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>"@net-tel.co.uk>"@net-tel.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re(2): [Fwd: Parallel laplink abuse leads to death of kernel secondary timer]

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996 Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk wrote:

> >         Is there a way of getting information (and enough information to
> >         for programming) on the new (ECP and also EPP ?) parallel port
> >         modes? Also, is anyone actually working with the lpt driver to
> >         allow bidirectional?
>
> I have been collecting info on this subject, but am unlikely to
actually work on it in the near future.

> There is some info on the bidirectional modes at http://www.fapo.com/,
though this is mostly about what it looks like from outside the PC,
rather than programming information.  Also somwhere on the web I found
datasheets on some NatSemi chips that implement the various parallel port
modes.  Finally, the only complete documentation on how to program ECP
mode (including how to probe for what sort of ports you have got) seems
to be in the Microsoft Developer Network - I couldn't find it on the
Microsoft web site, but it is on the MSDN CDs.

Could you send them to me in uuencoded format? I looked at the microsoft
ftp site, but they don't have that information there among the other MSDN
articles available. www.fapo.com isn't too informative...

And Alta Vista search for parallel port programming didn't return too
much information - that the is a thing called parallel port FAQ (the
maintainer wants information on EPP and ECP aswell), and that there is a
book in the making about parallel port, it's programming, etc.

	Sander