Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 00:42:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        Brian Burton <brian@burton-computer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: progress report on connection problems

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Brian Burton wrote:

> I am running 2.1.6-stable connected to the Internet via an Ascend
> Pipeline 50
> router on my end and a Livinsgton Portmaster (unknown model) at my ISP
> over
> two ISDN b-channels.  My ISP routes my traffic through a CISCO router
> (unknown
> model) to UUNET and then to the Internet.

I have a Pipeline 25 (4.6C software) connected to a Portmaster 2-e w/BRI
board (ComOS 3.5). I see the exact same problems as well. I am unable to
use my FreeBSD laptop from the Pipeline LAN. It does get to the point
of transferring data, though. When I tried to install FreeBSD from the
Pipeline LAN the first few bytes of the bin dist made it through. The
laptop works fine dialed into the Portmaster via modem, though. Therefore
I do not think it is the Portmaster, although who knows? Maybe the
Portmaster is munging the packets and the Pipeline is less liberal in what
it receives than FreeBSD?

I will have to get tcpdump running on the Portmaster LAN and the Pipeline
LAN simultaneously and see what I can see.

> The symptom that I encounter is as follows:
>
>   * Client on my side opens ftp connection to certain sites.
>
>   * Client begins file transfer and connection seems to hang after
>     some data has already been transferred.
>
> The sure way to reproduce the problem is to ftp to ftp.caldera.com, cd
> pub/mirrors/redhat/updates/i386 and type dir.  Only about half of the
> directory listing makes it through.
>
> In addition, sup fails every night and I was unable to install FreeBSD
> using
> FTP because of this problem.  I have also seen the same lock ups as have
> been
> described by others including NNTP headers and image transfers for web
> pages.

Bradley Dunn
HarborCom