Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:11:14 -0500
From:      Nathan Lay <nslay@comcast.net>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Very serious cooling issues CURRENT/STABLE

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 12/21/08, Nathan Lay <nslay@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Paul B. Mahol wrote:

>>> Is this one ever changed?

>>> This one means that coling will never be used, why:
>>> my output looks like this:
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 85.0C 75.0C 60.0C 50.0C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

>>> You can play with all thermal values once you enable:
>>> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override
>>>
>>> But acpi may redo such values again after some time.
>>> You only real workaround is to use modified acpi ASL:
>>> it is explained in handbook.
>>>
>>> In my case I fixed in that way bogus kernel
>>> message "_CRT value is absurd, ignored".
>>>

>> hw.acpi never displayed thermal values for some reason.  However, after
>> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 49 41 33 48 27 -1 22 -1
>>
>> I'm not sure the critical temperature (99C) is a problem, but what I
>> have observed is you should never be near it.  None of these thinkpads
>> got over 80C under load with FreeBSD installed until recently.  ACPI's
>> ASL does not appear to be the problem as it has worked correctly in the
>> past.
>>

> Until recenty when, can you point into svn revision?
>
> If the same overheat happens with acpi disabled that I dont see how
> freebsd acpi can help you.

Ok, I ran portupgrade on both systems with ACPI disabled.  I do not
experience any overheating issues.  The thinkpads also do not feel very
hot while building large ports like jdk16 and gcc42 as they do when ACPI
is enabled.  As I said, the laptops only started recently overheating.
The T40 started overheating when CURRENT was installed and the T43
started overheating on a more recent STABLE.  I'll try to pinpoint
exactly which STABLE build experienced this.

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay