Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:09:31 -0700
From:      davidf01.1@email.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PowerPC - Darwin and forking

Just read the intersting interview at BeOpen with
J Hubbard ... and noticed that he has recognized
the importance of supporting PowerPC.

http://www.gnulinux.com/interviews/hubbard_part1.s
html

Is it not about time that the bsd community
begins to address the issues that arise as a
result of Apple's own bsd OpenSource initiative
(Darwin)?

With all the xtra features that Darwin has
(extensible network, kernel, driver, filestore
models) and a microkernel - would not the bsd
world be better off if there was less forking
(albeit with many ad hoc justifications) and a
concerted effort to focus on one ARCHITECTURALLY
clean/coherent design?

OS/X goes beta this summer ... maybe one of your
people might want to take a serious look at
Darwin around then - because continuing a PowerPC
port after that point would seem to me a non-
optimal allocation of resources <I wont even get
into the Darwin/x86 issue>.

regards:dlf

david faibish
CTO