Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:23:10 +0100
From:      Craig Butler <craig001@lerwick.hopto.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it easy to netboot sun fire V210 using only sparc64 iso image and intel host?

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 06:26 +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Yuri wrote:
>
> > Also if I let it go without ok prompt it keeps saying: Timeout waiting
> > for ARP/RARP packet.
>
> Do you have a rarpd in your network?
>
> Can you sniff the Sun's network traffic?  Short of being able to setup
> a switch with port mirroring, I always found using an old 10 Mbit/s
> ethernet hub good for the purpose of sniffing really all traffic from
> a certain machine.

Yuri did you get my off list reply ??

the waiting for ARP/RARP is the sparc box doing a boot net,

is rarp running on your intel sever ?  ps axf | grep rarp to confirm...
if it is running is there anything in the intel's /var/log/messages ?

If the intel box can't resolve itself (ie no 127.0.0.1  <hostname>
in /etc/hosts) then rarp falls over -- you'll see error messages
in /var/log/messages

As long as the sparcs mac address is setup correctly in /etc/ethers
and /etc/bootptab.  inetd with tftp and bootp are running and rarp is
running... my instructions should work...

I have just recently used them to build another netboot server here.

Regards

Craig B