Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:14:43 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Faried Nawaz <fn@Hungry.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape native version

On Fri, Aug 08, 1997 at 02:23:46AM -0700, Faried Nawaz wrote:
> mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo) writes:
>
>   Anyone else notice that it often just refuses to die?? I'd say about 60%
>   of the time for me, when I close it by selecting "Exit" from the menu,
>   or close the window using the window manager, Netscape disapears from
>   the screen, but a process list shows me it's still there, eating up
>   20MB or RAM and burning away my CPU. 'kill -9' is your friend..
>
> It dies for me -- you just have to wait a few seconds or so.
> It takes about 15-20 seconds to go away on my machine (486-100, 48mb ram,
> 2.2-STABLE).

I've typically been waiting over a minute to see if it's really die'ing
or not. If it doesn't shut down in 1 minute on a PPro with 48MB or RAM
something is wrong.

>   Finally, Communicator locked up on me last night - actuallly it locked
>   up and took out my system with it.. complete freeze. X was still
>   "displaying", but the keyboard and mouse were dead. The machine wouldn't
>   even answer pings... complete freeze. Needless to say, since I've been
>   running FreeBSD (almost 2 years) this is the first time this has ever
>   happened to me. Lock up. Not even a crash. Nothing is worse, and horrible
>   images of win95 were filling my head.
>
> I've had this happen on rare occasions in the past two years.
>
> Also, at least twice, I've gone away for a while, come back, hit some
> key to turn off the X screensaver (the 'blank' screen xset gives you),
> and the machine's rebooted.  This was usually after a make world or
> some other long-running, vm-intensive process (hasn't happened
> recently).
>
> I don't think you can explicitly blame Communicator here.

It might very well be a vm problem, but I've just never had a VM crash myself,
so naturally I'm suspicious of what Communicator is up to! I wouldn't even
bring it up if it weren't for all the strange problems I've been having with
Communicator since I've installed the freebsd version. It often crashes
(which is somewhat normal for a beta product, although 4.0b6 of the linux
distribution running through the linux emulator was very solid), doesn't
return the mouse pointer from "the busy watch icon" to an arrow, and
really sucks for Java performance. And lets face it, a 20MB resident memory
size is pretty wild!

The browsers are geting so gigantic these days that I really do find myself
using lynx more and more. I re-installed Netscape 2.0 last night, and it
seems to work just fine. I wish they'd offer a version without the mail and
newsgroup and composer tools, or offer them as separate programs or something.
Maybe then it wouldn't take all day just to start the darned thing up (I
don't even want to try on my 486 with 16MB..)

-mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert