Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 21:57:25 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncr probe FAILS on 2.2-BETA_A!

On Jan 10, dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu (Doug White) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm attempting to install 2.2-BETA_A on a SiS Pentium 100 system, and the
> ncr startup locks the system up just after
>
> ncr0 waiting for devices to settle
>
> This machine works perfectly with 2.2-ALPHA.  I've booted -c and reduced
> the devices to the bare necessities with no change.

Hmm, the NCR driver changes between ALPHA and BETA are
quite simple, and mostly stylistic ...

> ncr0 <ncr 53c815 scsi> rev 3 int a irq 11 on pci0:13
> ncr0 waiting for scsi devices to settle          <-- 2.2-BETA stops here
> (ncr0:3:0): "PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-4XCE 1.00" type 5 removable SCSI 2

> The SCSI devices to receive the bus reset, as the lights on the CDROMs
> light up, but that's all.  The floppy drive light is stuck on and the
> keyboard LEDs don't function when the lockup occurs.

I expect this to be a problem with your chip set ...

Perhaps you want to try booting with PCI options (write
buffers, PCI burst mode) disabled.

> There were no changes to the system configuration between shutting down
> 2.2-ALPHA and booting the BETA floppy.
>
> Sorry for taking so long to report this; today is the only time I've had
> to try plugging in BETA.
>
> Boot -v and other information available by request.

Please try the applied patch. If it doesn't work, then
send boot -v messages. If you have access to the CVS
tree, you may want to use the driver from 2.2-ALPHA. I
can send you a context diff, if you prefer that ...

Regards, STefan