Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:51:46 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Ziller, James" <James.Ziller@qg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dependency hell

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:34:34PM -0500, Ziller, James wrote:
> So then is there a way that the ports/package system can automatically
> handle replacing libfoo.so.3 with libfoo.so.4, so that packages compiled to
> use libfoo.so.3 can use libfoo.so.4 instead (assuming the new version is
> backward compatable)?

You can't assume that.  The version numbers of libraries are only
supposed to be changed when the new version is *NOT* backwards
compatible with the old.
I.e.  libfoo.so.4 is most likely not completely compatible with
libfoo.so.3 and any programs that are compiled against libfoo.so.3 need
to be recompiled to use libfoo.so.4