Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:37:07 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Michael_Lyngb=F8l?= <michael@lyngbol.dk>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: relocating primary DNS server

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 09:58:32PM +0100, Michael Lyngbøl wrote:

#>> Are there any tricks for moving (changing the IP address of)
#>> a primary DNS server for a domain?
#>
#> I think you are screwed if your friend's domain is registered with
#> Network Solutions.  They are not timely with domain server IP updates in
#> my experience.  Last time I tried to do it (admittedly about a year or
#> two ago), it took them three or four weeks to make it effective in their
#> root servers.  And in some cases it took six weeks.
#
# If your registered as eighter Administrative, Billing, or Technical
# Contact with a valid email address you could use
# http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/makechanges/ (select 'transfer my
# Domain Name to another ISO')

Yes, I'm aware of this interface.  I was hoping I could do it without
having to use NSI, since the primary nameserver for the domain in
question is also the primary for about 600 other domains.  I guess the
real question is when I do a whois(1) I see the primary and secondary
nameserver along with their IP address.  If the IP address of one of
them changes is this information static (meaning I have to go through
all 600+ and change each one) or will NSI and the root servers pickup
this information dynamically based on the changes I make?

-steve