Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 23:13:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

>   Michael, I don't think this is fair.  If you look at the mailing list
> archives I have publicly offered to pay somebody to support 21140-AC based
> cards.  I also sent mail directly to one of the core members and never
> got a reply.  Also, on any system that wishes to have mass end users (and
> I presume this is one of FreeBSD's goals), there are users that will not
> have much, if anything, to contribute back.  Ultimately, it's how well
> you support these users that determines the success.

I must agree that it's definitely not fair in your case to identify
you as some sort of "user slacker"; by all appearances you've done
everything it was practical to do, up to and including offering to PAY
for that support.  I'm disappointed that no one took you up on your
offer.

I'm also very sorry that despite all of the attempts you've made to
meet us half-way, you've still gotten no satisfaction from this.
That's actually fairly atypical, I'd like to say, and when people go
to "escalation level II" they generally get results if it's at all
possible for us to provide them (at least this has certainly been the
case in many of the similar scenarios I've witnessed).

Do you still have any of these cards?  Would you be willing to send me
one?  I can't personally fix the de driver's interoperability problems
with it (unless it's some clear and obvious fix from the NetBSD
version), but I can at least make sure that it's sent to someone who
can and I can continue to track the issue until resolution.

And in the future, if you've really got this much hardware swinging in
the wind and things aren't happening (this applies to anyone reading
this), please don't hesitate to call me personally.  My home phone
number is in my finger entry and I'll do whatever I can to make things
happen.  We've got quite a few friends at Digital now and much more
support from them than we did a year ago.

Regards,

					Jordan